Today I would like to share with you the most delicious Nord German potato salad recipe. This particular potato salad from the North of Germany is made with mayo dressing. If you are looking for potato salad with oil & vinegar, please check out Traditional Swabian Potato Salad or Traditional Bavarian Potato Salad recipe. The German potato salad is a great side dish for any BBQ party because you can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
Unlike traditional Swabian or Bavarian potato salad with vinegar and oil dressing, for this particular salad, it is not necessarily to refrigerate it for several hours. You can make it ahead, or you can prepare it and serve immediately; however, you wish.
The first time when I had traditional Nord German potato salad was on our holiday by the North Sea. On the food market on Rügen Island, we had delicious pan-fried fish that was served with this extraordinary salad. Living in the South of Germany, we usually stick to our traditional oil and vinegar dressing salads, but this discovery made me change my mind about German potato salads! I do believe that some German dishes, especially fish, testes much better with the Nord German potato salad as with the one from South Germany.
Cooking Jacket Potatoes for German Potato Salad
Every good potato salad starts with good potatoes. Here in Germany, we have a different type of potatoes that we use for various dishes. To make potato salad we choose the waxy potatoes because they are firm and therefore keep their shape after being cooked. If you would like to dive into the topic of German potatoes, I would like to encourage you to check out the following video on my YouTube channel.
I make potato salads always from jacket potatoes because they keep their shape after slicing and are easier to peel. After cooking the jacket potatoes, I let them cool for 15-20 minutes, and then I start with peeling. Right after this, they are ready to be sliced and then mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
To ensure that the Nord German potato salad turns out extraordinary, make sure that you:
- don’t overcook your potatoes (20-25 minutes should be enough)
- season it well
- serve it with a perfectly grilled piece of meat:)
Nord German Potato Salad – Ingredients, Taste & Texture
Nord German potato salad is fresh, creamy and has a crunch to it. The onions and pickles make it taste fresh and crunchy, and the consistency of potatoes and Miracel Whip dressing makes it creamy. It has the right balance of all ingredients, and this is what every salad should have!
As the salad contains a lot of Miracel Whip, I recommend serving Nord German potato salad with low-fat meats like chicken or turkey breast, or Rump steak. I think that it will bring freshness and an excellent fat balance to those meat dishes. But let’s be honest – if you don’t count your calories, have it with your pork steak or Bratwurst, I don’t really care as soon as you enjoy it 🙂
Have you ever made German potato salad before? If yes, please share the variation you made in the comments down below. If no, let me know what is holding you back?
Equipment I used:
– Chopping boards: https://amzn.to/2Hc2qaK
– Sharp knife https://amzn.to/2H6oZhf
– Fissler Pressure Cooker
Nord German Potato Salad
- 500 g potatoes waxy
- 1 onion small
- 80 g pickles
- 125 ml Miracel Whip or mayo
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 egg
- Cook jacket potatoes for 20-25 minutes (depending on size). Make sure the potatoes are tender, but not too soft, so they keep their shape when slicing.
Prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Chop onions for the dressing.
- Chop or slice the pickles.
Make the dressing
- Combine Miracel Whip, mustard, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Prepare the potatoes
- Drain the cooked potatoes and let them cool down a bit, for 15 minutes.
- Peel the skin off.
- Slice them into half cm wide slices.
Make the salad
- Mix potatoes with pickles, onions and dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the egg and add it to the salad. Mix carefully.
- Serve it immediately or put it in the fridge until the salad is ready to be served.
Did you like our tips? Pin this post to your Pinterest Board to come back to it later! Or visit our Pinterest profile here.