Potato pancakes are not only traditional in Poland, but also in Germany, Czech, Slovakia, Ukrain, Balarus, Austria and even Luxembourg. Each of those countries has a different variation of this dish and serves it with w different ingredients.
Today I would like to introduce you to German recipe with garlic sauce, which is not that different comparing to the polish one. I have personally eaten it the first time last year on the Christmas Marekt in Frankfurt. I loved it.
The Germans like eating their potato pancakes also with sweet apple sauce as well as smoked salmon.
German potato pancake with garlic sauce
- 4 potatoes large
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 pinch salt
- Grate potatoes finely, chop the onion and put them into a large bowl. Drain off any liquid.
- Add egg, salt, and black pepper and flour.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium high heat and place one tablespoon of potato mixture so the pancake is 0,5 cm thick and round.
- Fry until golden brown each side.
- Repeat until you use all mixture.
- Mix all ingredients together. Use additional seasoning if needed.