Boeuf Bourguignon comes from Burgundy – one of the French regions.
After my last visit in Paris I fell in love with French cuisine. Normally I dont cook dishes that I have never tried before, but with Boeuf Bourguignon is different. I couldnt wait anymore to my next trip to France – I needed to cook it as soon as possible:) As it took me so long to cook, I really hoped that this will be the best beef stew I have ever eaten. And it was! My boyfriend always repeats that the best sauce – needs time, Boef Bourgiuignon simmer with wine and spices 3,5 hours in the oven. There is plenty of time for meat to get soft and to produce the most amazing wine sauce.
- 1,5kg beef, cut into 3cm cubes
- 200g bacon, cut into 3cm slices
- 750ml red wine
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 24 pearl onions
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic
- half tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1l beef broth
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cubes of chocolate
- butter for frying
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
How to prepare Boeuf Bourguignon?
Fry meat, onion and carrot
1. In oven safe saute pan put 250ml broth. Add bacon to it and saute for about 10 minutes. Set bacon aside.
2. In the same pan saute for another 10 minutes carrot with onion and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 150.
4. Still in the same pan fry beef on olive oil until brown.
5. Combine all ingregedients, sprikle with flour and cook on the medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Prepare the dish to go to the oven
6. Add wine, tomato pure, thymian, bay leaf, chocolate and garlic to the pot with meat and vegatables. Chocolate prevents the sauce to turn red and it doesnt give any flavor.
7. Put it to oven for 3,5 hours.
Prepare pearl onions and mushrooms
8. Peel the onions (do not chop them!) and cut mushrooms in quarters.
9. In the seperate pan fry the onions on the medium heat until golden brown. Add the rest of the broth and simmer for about 25minutes.
10. Fry mushrooms on butter until soft.
As soon as the beef is ready combine all ingredients and serve with potatoes.