In the past few years right in front of the town hall in Frankfurt there is a vendor who is selling delicious Jam-Filled Yeast Dumplings. Every year at least once we orderer them along with a cup of hot mulled wine.
Jam-Filled Yeast dumplings traditionally come from Austria (like many other delicious dumplings:)). The traditional variation would be filled with plum sauce, but I actually prefer them with sweet cherry filling. On the top you can either have them with vanilla sauce or butter and poppy seeds.
Jam-Filled Yeast Dumplings
- 65 ml whole milk
- 20 g yeast fresh
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 200 g flour white
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 15 g butter soft
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sour cherries from a jar
- 100 ml sour cherry juice
- 1 tbsp starch
- 200 g vanilla sauce
- 4 tsp poppy seeds
Make the dough
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, salt, eggs and soft butter. You can use hands or dough mixer until smooth.
- Heat the milk to lukewarm (I am using 2 out of 10), add small crumbs of fresh yeast and sugar. Wisk until yeast dissolves. Remove from the heat immediately and mix the mixture very slowly with the flour mixture.
- Form a dough form a bowl – if the dough is too sticky you can add 1 tbsp of flour to it. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it rest for at least 45 minutes.
Make the filling
- Pour sour cherry juice into a casserole, add starch and sugar and mix it with a whisk until dissolves. Turn the heat to medium and wait until the sauce thickens. Add the cherries and set the sauce aside.
Make the dumplings
- Flour the surface, roll the dough into a thick log and divide it into 4 equal pieces. Take each piece and form a circle. While holding the dough in our hand add 1 tbsp or cherry sauce mixture and fold the dough so the filling doesn't come out. Flip it around and form round dumplings.
- When your dumplings are ready cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rest for 15 minutes.
Steam the dumplings
- Transfer the dumplings into a steam basket and place it in a large pot filled with water (I am using 800ml). Bring it to boil, turn the temperature to medium (I am using 5 out of 10), close the lid and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cold vanilla sauce and poppy seeds on the top.