Frankfurt Green Sauce is the most refreshing sauce I know! There is nothing better in the summer than to go to apple wine tavern to eat Green Sauce and to drink some apple wine.
The Frankfurt Green Sauce contains 7 herbs: chives, parsley, cress, sorrel, chervil, borage and salad burnet and it is very healthy. The recipe exists 2000 years and in our family, we prepare it with sour cream and we spice it with lemon, salt and sugar. Typically the Frankfurt Green Sauce is served with hard boiled eggs, but of course, you can also have it with a Schnitzel! Another great way to eat it is with cooked beef topside.
Frankfurt's green sauce
Herbs for Frankfurt-Style Free Sauce
- 50 g chives (1,8 oz)
- 40 g parsley (1,4 oz)
- 40 g cress (1,4 oz)
- 40 g sorrel (1,4 oz)
- 40 g chervil (1,4 oz)
- 25 g borage (0,9 oz)
- 15 g salad burnet (0,5 oz)
- 800 g sour cream 28 oz / 3¼ cup
- 1-2 lemon(s) juice
- 4 eggs cooked
- pepper optional
- Wash herbs, remove stems, put them and the eggs through a meat grinder.
- Combine the mixture with sour cream, lemon juice, salt and sugar. Keep on adding the seasonings until you are happy with the taste. My green sauce needs a least 3 teaspoons of salt, 1 lemon and 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Store in the fridge for 3 days or freeze it!
And here is The Frankfurt Green Sauce video recipe:
Going to Frankfurt, Germany? Check out this grocery shopping tour for traditional food and drinks from Frankfurt that you can enjoy back home with your families and friends!