There is no better meal to eat in summer than a cold soup!
The summers in Poland certainly can get warm and as soon as they did, my mother prepared that soup! Beet greens are seasonal, therefore the soup could only be made from late May until July. If we were lucky, we ate that soup more then once a year, if not: not at all. But each time I have seen it on the plate I was really happy and I am pretty sure that it was because we had it pretty rarely and I liked it very much.
Chlodnik Litewski is polish and lithuenian meal. Traditionally there was boiled crayfish or meat added to the soup, but I prefer it as a vegetarian meal. On the other hand my husband would be happier, if there were few pieces of chicken in it 🙂 But we are not going to tell him that this is an option, are we?;)
Polish Cold Beetroot Soup
- 1 bunch young beet greens with small beetroots
- 1 bunch chives
- 4 cucumber small
- 0,5 bunch dill
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 l buttermilk
- 3 tbsp cream heavy
- 4 eggs cooked
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash carefully beet greens and beetroots. Cut the beetroots in qurters and the beet geens into 0,5cm pieces.
- Place the beet greens and beetroots into the pot with 200ml hot water. Add the lemon juice (so the soup keeps their beautiful color) and cook for 10 minutes on lower heat.
- After 10 minutes set the soup aside until it has room temperature.
- Add buttermilk, cream, minced garlic to the mixture and set aside.
- In the mean while peel the cucombers and cut them into quarters and slice them thinly. Chop the hearbs. Add them to the soup and place it in the fridge for atleast 3 hours.
- Serve cold with egg quarters.
Are you going on a trip to Poland? Do you already know what to eat in Poland? If no you are in the right place! We have prepared a video for you where we are showing and explaining TRADITIONAL POLISH dishes:
If you are interested in traditional food, please subscribe to our channel and turn on the notification bell so each time when we publish a new video, you will be informed!