Wild garlic soup – the traditional German soup that we enjoy in the springtime!
I feel like one of the biggest challenges in our day-to-day life is living in harmony with nature. For me, that means above all else: cooking with seasonal ingredients. Using food when it is the freshest on the market has a lot of advantages, but it requires a little knowledge and planning. This year I promised myself to take more time while preparing my weekly food plan and take seasonal ingredients into consideration. Let’s celebrate the rich diversity of the changing seasons in Germany together and make wild garlic soup this spring!
Two weeks ago we started the camping season in German Franconia. As soon as our camping parcel was ready, we headed to our favourite restaurant in the village nearby. We love going to this restaurant. The food there is not only delicious but also very diverse. The head chef always extends the main menu with an enormous list of specials, which are for the most part seasonal dishes. The first dish that caught my eye was the Wild Garlic Soup. I couldn’t help but wonder how does the wild garlic taste and why haven’t I eaten it before! I have ordered it without hesitation and never regret my choice. Since then I have tried all other dishes with this ingredient that this restaurant had to offer.
Although the soup had a strong garlic fragrance, it was at the same time light in flavour. The onions and potatoes gave it smooth and creamy, velvety texture. Even if the ingredients and method of preparation are straightforward, the taste of the dish was exquisite. In my opinion “soup” is too common term to describe this deliciousness.
Just after I came back to the caravan, I started searching for similar wild garlic soup recipes. The next day I want to the farmers market, bought the ingredients and made the magic happen.
If you get a hands-on fresh wild garlic, I would recommend you to to try the recipe below. For the dish that takes 30 minutes to make it is damn good.
Please share in the comments down below what ingredients are you enjoying this season? What about white asparagus and strawberries? Is it only me who is looking forward to another tasty season of this year?
Wild Garlic Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 1o minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 people
- 1 onion small
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 potatoes medium
- 20 g butter
- 50 g wild garlic fresh
- 400 ml vegetable fond
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- Nutmeg optional
- 50 ml whipping cream for garnish
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Set aside.
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them into 1cm cubes.
- Take a medium-large pot, preheat it to medium heat and add butter to it.
- As soon as the butter is hot add chopped onion and garlic as well as the potatoes.
- Pour vegetable fond and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In the meantime wash wild garlic and chop it into thin strips.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender add the cream and wait until the soup starts boiling.
- Blend the soup with the wild garlic leaving some for the decoration.
- Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and a pinch of nutmeg, if you like. Stir and taste. If it does not taste like heaven yet correct the seasoning!:)
- Whisk the cream for about 30 seconds.
- Serve warm garnished with fresh wild garlic stripes and cream swirls!
- Keep the soup in the fridge up to 3 days or freeze it.
At the beginning of June, we would like you to try one of the other recipes that we prepared last year to celebrate this season! Please have a look at those and decide what seasonal dish you would like to cook next!
Did you like our tips? Pin this post to your Pinterest Board to come back to it later! Please click here to visit our Pinterest Profile.